Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat


This painting is called Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat, a French post-impressionist painter.  I really liked this painting the first time I saw it in the Art Institute of Chicago last year.   It was also the first time that I learned this painting style, known as “pointillism,” was invented by Georges Seurat.  All the figures and landscape in his painting were made using little dots of color, small enough for the eye to blend with surrounding dots.  It looks fantastic.  What I really like is that in the painting, all the colors are so bright and soft.  It also makes me think that our lives are made up of little dots of color - each piece represents different things and finally they all come together.  As I remember, the original size of this painting hanging in the Art Institute is about 2 meters long and 3 meters in width.  Above is a copy of the painting, I hope you like it.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this painting on magazine for a few years ago, It gave me a big impression as it's made of a lot dots, its style like a cartoon and the woman on right hand side, her dress is special. This is a interesting painting.

    ReplyDelete